On June 11, 2020, Sony revealed the first line up of games for the PlayStation 5, their next generation console that is set to launch at the end of the year. I'm not going to sit here and talk about ALL of the games that they showed, nor am I going to sit here like I give a damn about nor am very versed in the technical specs of this thing either. The only thing I'm going to say right off the bat is that I firmly believe that we're getting to the point of really bridging the gap between console and PC gaming. The only difference for the future on the surface (at least in my opinion) is in terms of customization, long-term appeal, and most importantly, the price tag. Sony hasn't revealed the price for this new console and it's a smart move as Microsoft hasn't revealed their new console yet either. Sony can easily slash a few bucks off what they want the selling price point to be before pre-orders go live to counter whatever Microsoft's price tag for their new console will be.

Gameplay

GTA V - 3:50 

Between last-gen consoles, current-gen consoles, and even PC, how many damn times does Rockstar need to re-release GTA V?


Spider-Man Miles Morales - 5:49 

Harmonix has been putting mixed information out there in terms of this game. At one moment, they said this is spin-off and not a sequel. Then in another interview, they said that this is a sequel, but Peter Parker will have his own story continue in another "proper" title. Pretty confusing message that they are putting out there, but I'm glad to see that Miles is getting his own time in the spotlight. That was something that was criminally absent in the original game, especially following the popularity of Spider-Man: Enter the Spider-Verse. I get that the original PS4 game was Miles' origin story, but they could have added him in as DLC. 

I'm under the impression that this sequel/expansion is going to be much like the Freedom Cry expansion from Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, where the majority of the game here plays identical to the original game, but you just have this new sandbox environment to toy with the new playable character's skillset at your leisure. 


GT7 - 7:30 


Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart - 10:08 

Every time when one of these Ratchet & Clank games get announced, I get annoyed because I never seem to have finished ANY of them, even dating back to PlayStation 2, despite the fact that they look interesting enough in terms of platform/action games. 


Project Athia - 15:49

As with a lot of Square Enix's projects, they look simply gorgeous at first glance, but I'm leery as all hell about the gameplay since there wasn't any shown for this. Nonetheless, I'm still going to keep my eye on this one. 


Stray - 17:01

Cat lovers will be all over this game for sure. Off-topic: Is it bad that I thought about the opening to the Wolf's Rain anime when I saw the title to this game?


Returnal - 20:48

What is this, a nightmare-fuel version of Gravity?


Sackboy A Big Adventure - 23:10 

I never owned a PlayStation 3, so I never knew what was the big fascination with Sackboy, but now that he's getting his own platformer in the vein of Crash Bandicoot, I'm all for it. 


Destruction All-Stars - 25:20 

At first glance, I thought this was Overwatch crossed with Twisted Metal, but it seems like Overwatch crossed with Rocket League, SSX, and a ton of other multiplayer vehicle/sporting titles. Who knows, this could be what Fusion Frenzy (vanilla Xbox) was in the dorms for me and my roommates back in college for this generation of gamers. 


Kena Bridge of Spirits - 27:32

The first thing that ran through my head seeing this trailer was Kameo: Elements of Power which was a launch title for the Xbox 360. 

Goodbye Volcano High - 29:54

The first thing that popped up in my head when I saw this trailer was that I thought this should be something straight off of DeviantArt or Tumblr at first glance. If that's your thing, then I'm not going to knock it, especially if it's along the lines of Life Is Strange or TellTale Games' work. 


Oddworld Soulstorm - 31:50 

Man, this shocked the hell out of me to see a brand new Oddworld release, especially with Abe back in the saddle. I have fond memories of playing the original PlayStation title with my cousin back in the day.

Ghostwire Tokyo - 34:10 

I immediately thought of Naruto when I saw the handsigns. This seems like it will be an amazing game, but the visuals look trippy as all hell and I love it. I'm definitely keeping my eye out on this. 


Jett The Far Shore - 36:10

At first glance, this seems like one of those games like No Man's Sky where it's all gorgeous visuals and barely any substance outside of that. Maybe I could be wrong and there could be some brilliant gameplay element attached to it, but from this first look, I can't say that I'm interested at all. 


Godfall - 38:34 

I can't put my finger on it, but this looks like a mash-up between Dark Souls/Sekiro gameplay with a sprinkle of Devil May Cry at first glance. I'm hoping this plays more like the latter than like Dark Souls. If you want Dark Souls in your gameplay, there's going to be a port of Mortal Shell coming for PlayStation 5 anyway if you don't want to wait out the Epic Store exclusivity on PC.


Solar Ash - 40:00 

Coming from the creators of Hyper Light Drifter, this looks amazing visually, but that's to be expected from that developer. 


Hitman 3 - 41:47

For as long as these games have been around, I guess I shouldn't be surprised to see the next one being a launch title for once. 


Astro's Playroom - 44:28

One thing I really have to give Sony props on with the PlayStation 5 is that they are really going all in on these new platformers for their console. Between this, the new Ratchet & Clank, and Sackboy, it's going to be pretty stacked in that regard for this genre. 


Little Devil Inside - 45:23 

This seems like an interesting action/adventure game. I wonder how much lasting appeal that it will have post-launch when on the surface, this looks like the typical indie game title that will more likely be dirt cheap on Steam shortly after it's console release.


NBA 2K21 - 47:39

For their sake, I hope this ends up panning out better than the clusterfuck going on with their wrestling games (namely WWE 2K20). 


Bugsnax - 49:01 


Demon's Souls - 52:10 

Demon's Souls/Dark Souls fans rejoice. This is the remaster that they have been clamoring for years now and they finally got it. 


Deathloop - 54:17

Wasn't there a game on last-generation (Xbox 360/PlayStation 3) called TimeShift where you could control time in a similar manner? This could be fun in a sense that it pans out like the old TimeSplitters games in terms of comedy, especially if they DON'T go full Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever in terms of the rivalry between assassins. 


Resident Evil Village - 57:50 

This seems to be Capcom's answer to follow things up in the new Resident Evil timeline that started in Resident Evil 7. Chris Redfield makes his return following the ending from the previous game, but the question on everyone's minds is that is he an ally or an enemy this time around? Only time will tell.

On a side note, how the hell are Capcom going around in interviews saying that this is NOT Resident Evil 8 when the text spells it out at the end. C'mon now... 


Pragmatic - 1:01:00

I thought this was going to be a sequel to Death Stranding at first glance. This seems like it's going to be a similar mindfuck.


Horizon Forbidden West - 1:03:35 

When I saw this trailer, I cursed and praised Sony with every fiber of my being. I knew that this would be the kicker that would pretty much guarantee that I'm investing into a PS5. Horizon Zero Dawn was the main reason I bought a PS4, unlike all of the people who were hung up onto the promise of Final Fantasy VII Remake. No, this was the next-gen title that captured my interest and made me want to experience that new world firsthand. If Aloy's adventures continue on the PS5, then so be it. I'm getting one to see what happens next in her journey to save her world. I'm pretty bummed out that we didn't get another sequel on the PS4 though. Like c'mon... That game came out at roughly the start of the PS4's lifespan and we couldn't get anything else for that game following the Frozen Wilds DLC?


Console Information - 1:08:31



Right off the bat... Much like everyone else, I'm not too crazy about the console design, but I was never too fond of a lot of console designs over the last few years if I'm perfectly honest.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post