Devil May Cry: Pinnacle of Combat is a mobile spin-off game developed by the Chinese company Yunchang Game, it is a mobile action RPG with online modes such as team battles and PvP combat. The game seems to take elements from a variety of games in the series like DMC3, DMC4, DmC and DMC5.


Development


In December 2017, Yunchang Game acquired the rights from Capcom to make the game, during an Oppo conference in China, it earned the award for "the most anticipated game", the game has a strict and detailed supervision standard from Capcom to ensure the quality of the product.

It is set to inherit classic elements of the main Devil May Cry series such as weapon switching, combos, character design and puzzles. Some of the attacks of the game are based on their original counterpart frame by frame. While most of the game seems to take Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening as its base, a trailer came out at the beginning of December 2019, confirming that the game will feature locations from Devil May Cry 4 , and even DmC: Devil May Cry , with Phantom from Devil May Cry and Beowulf from Devil May Cry 3 being confirmed as bosses, and another trailer that came this time during the middle of December 2019, confirmed Nevan as a boss in the game, and Vergil as a playable character.

As of June 2018, 204,768 people have entered for the game's beta.

In 2019, to coincide with the release of Devil May Cry 5, Yunchang Game released new images of the game, noting that they were "in-development game images", as opposed to using the Chinese word for "screenshot".

Gameplay Videos & Trailers

Reveal Trailer


Now if I saw this trailer first, I wouldn't have had any amount of interest in this game before seeing the actual gameplay in action. That face for Dante there looks only SLIGHTLY more acceptable than the one we got for him that was meme-worthy in Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite. At the same time, I look at the character models in this and immediately hear it scream "MOBILE GAME" in my ears. 


Lady Reveal Trailer


Lady looks like she would be a blast to play - no pun intended there. That reminds me... I totally need to do a run through DMC4 Special Edition as her just to get a taste of how she plays in this series as I never got around to doing that before now. 


Vergil Reveal Trailer



You guys know that I mark out for almost anything Vergil related in this series. If this is allegedly a remake of the events of Devil May Cry 3 then he's definitely not missing out on this party.



Videos found from DevilNeverCry's YouTube Channel


Nevan Boss Fight



The first thing that jumps out at me is holy fuck does Dante's face look horrible. I'm not opposed to this new design choice for Nevan though.


Phantom Boss Fight


This was one boss from the original Devil May Cry that I have been disappointed time and time again that wasn't brought back for some of the sequels. I'm glad to see Phantom making a return here, especially after how many original DMC enemies returned in DMC5 in some capacity.


Goatling Boss Fight





DevilNeverCry's Raw Playthrough Stream



Actually, running around and doing the traditional DMC combat looks fine in this, but the second when the cutscenes with the actual characters interacting and talking to each other start up, it makes this look just like a low budget PlayStation 2 game.



I honestly only first heard of this game on a whim, thanks to my suggestions on YouTube the other night, where I saw DevilNeverCry's first impressions video (linked below) on it.

Please note that all of these gameplay videos are his own and I merely share them here to show support for the game.




Apparently, the game is in beta internationally, but sports English dialogue, despite the fact that the game is completely worded in Japanese in all of the subtitles and in-game text menus.

On the surface, this looks like poor recreation of Devil May Cry 3, but in terms of action and gameplay, this looks amazing (at least until you see some of the facial models/textures...), especially for a mobile game to be running at a constant 60 frames per second. That's nuts, especially when there's console games out right now that can't even do that. I would love to get my hands on this for myself, but I have no interest in having to invest into a special controller just to play this on my phone because I having nothing to do with the motion/touchscreen controls. I hate those enough as is on anything mobile related.

Story-wise, this is allegedly a recreation of the events of Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening in a sense, evidenced by the similar character models and enemies encountered in the game, such as Nevan, Beowulf, and Cerberus.

Gameplay-wise, Dante has access to both Royal Guard and Trickster fighting styles, but as evidenced in the trailers, he has access to moves from the popular Gunslinger, Doppleganger, and Swordmaster fighting styles to boot.

I'm going to keep an eye out for this and see whether or not I'll be able to try my hands on it too. If not, I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for a release stateside - at least after this gets more polish. 

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post