We take a look at Gearbox's newest entry into the Borderlands series, Borderlands 3. Borderlands 3 is an upcoming action role-playing first-person shooter video game developed by Gearbox Software, the sequel to 2012's Borderlands 2, and the fourth main entry in the Borderlands series. It is to be released on 13 September 2019 for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.





My initial reaction from seeing this trailer was nothing but smiles. The Borderlands series is always going to be known for it's charm and comedic style over anything else and they definitely knocked it out of the park in that regard with this trailer. At first glance, a lot of our old friends are coming back from the last few games (even a few from the short-lived Tales From The Borderlands), along with some new Vault Hunters (of course) and new foes to vanquish. I don't know if people have noticed, but the "Cult of the Vault" has existed even in Borderlands 2, so it's not that hard to see how the Calypso Twins would be able to assume power from anyone foolish enough to follow them in the wake of Handsome Jack's demise.




A part of me is afraid that maybe Gearbox might been overdoing it with the guns this time around, but at the same time, they have to after the insanity of the previous two games. The new locales look simply gorgeous and not bland like a lot of the areas in the previous two games. That's not even a primary concern in the least if Gearbox continues to recapture the magic that made the previous Borderlands outings so fun to play. That's all what really matters - between that and there being a generous amount of content.





(7/15/19) It took me a while, but I FINALLY got a chance to watch this stream in it's entirety.

It still looks like Borderlands to me - more or less - and the charm that we've come to love from it's characters and overall universe is still there too. I would love to know who is voicing the Calypso Twins as I think their voices go perfectly with the annoying streamer/shock jock vibe that they are going for.

My mind was blown right off the bat that you can equip/swap out not one but MULTIPLE Action Skills this time around. The new Siren is hella impressive having both Lilith and Maya's signature skills right off the bat, along with her unique ground pounce skill too. The new Operative class seems right up my alley combining both Mordecai and Zer0's skills together in new lethal combinations. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to lean towards trying this character right off the bat for sure. Seemed like there was little to no cooldown on using skills too, so that seemed like a major change. I'm guessing that the game is going to amp up the difficulty in terms of how many enemies spawn now too.

In terms of multiplayer changes, I love that each individual player gets their own instance of loot in their game, scaled to their unique player level. No more worrying about randoms stealing/hoarding loot drops like in the previous games. I never tried playing with randoms until Borderlands: The Handsome Collection was free on PlayStation Plus a month or two ago and I absolutely loathed that aspect of it. Another thing I liked was that enemies are now scaled to your player level in multiplayer, despite joining a lower level character(s)'s game session. I don't mind rushing my friends through the earlier part of these games, but at the same time, I want to get decent EXP gain for this grind. This is a welcome addition to close the skill gaps at times. This way, your friend doesn't feel useless while you do all of the work in multiplayer if you're higher level than they are. They can still contribute to the madness in their own way since the enemies you face will be scaled to their level on their end.

Out of the new guns that they showed off, I loved the guns with the MIRV grenade explosion upon reload. I'm so anxious to see what other surprises that Gearbox has up their sleeves in that regard. I know the legendary guns are going to be insane this time around if some of just the damn blue and purple drops are doing stuff like this casually.

The fact that you get to explore new worlds other than Pandora makes me wonder exactly how big this game is going to be. Sanctuary III looks cool, but I know I'm going to lose my way around that thing more often than not, especially when I still manage to get mixed up in Sanctuary in Borderlands 2 from time to time. The vending machine quality of life changes were more than welcome, especially the ammo refill option and the new ability to reclaim lost loot. Gearbox are going all the way to please everyone with this entry and I really hope it's a success after such a long wait. I doubt I'll buy it at launch, but I'm looking forward to diving in whenever I get around to buying it - which would more likely be long after all of the downloadable content and add-ons are released like I did with the previous entries.

What We Know So Far


Release Date


After having been leaked beforehand, Gearbox confirmed that Borderlands 3 is coming out on September 13.


Playable Character Classes

Note: Information straight from Gamespot.

The first trailer features a few familiar faces from the series' past, but much of the focus goes to a group of four new characters in the screenshot above, which are the Vault Hunters you'll get to control. The characters are as follows from left to right: Amara the Siren, FL4K the Beastmaster, Moze the Gunner, and Zane the Operative.



The Borderlands games tend to have a mixture of traditional shooter-RPG class archetypes, like Berserker, Hunter, and Soldier. However, the series is also known to utilize several unexpected classes that mash up a variety of interesting skills and abilities. This tradition seems to continue with Amara, a Siren who showcases a skill where she summons multiple ethereal arms, possibly alluding to her being a more melee-centric character. You can find out more about each character class in our in-depth explainer.


Confirmed Returning Characters


As stated, many of the series' characters are returning in Borderlands 3, which includes folks from Borderlands 1, Borderlands 2, and spin-off Tales from the Borderlands. Despite not making an appearance in the first trailer, Gearbox has stated that characters from Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel will appear too. Below you'll find the confirmed returning characters so far.

Brick
Claptrap
Ellie
Lady Aurelia
Lillith
Marcus
Maya
Mordecai
Moxxi
Rhys
Sir Hammerlock
Tannis
Tiny Tina
Zer0

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post